Project manager Elliott Barnett of Signal Energy LLC of Chattanooga, which designed and is building the farm, blamed the delay on “the upgrade of the electrical lines that go from the solar farm to the Chickasaw Electric Cooperative substation.”
Gail Kerr at the Tennesseans talks about legacies of former governors. She wonders what Gov. Bill Haslam’s legacy will be. LINK
Every Tennessee governor has left a legacy. Ned McWherter was a master negotiator who cared more about what was good for the state than what was good for his party. In his ease-along way, he brought sweeping reforms of education and health care. No matter what else he did, Don Sundquist will forever be remembered as the governor who tried to pass a state income tax. Phil Bredesen was renowned as a businessman who wrestled the state’s finances into shape.
Steve Ross, a student at the University of Memphis, writes about impending tuition hikes. This would be continue a trend going on over the last five years. He has some thoughts. LINK
If we want real growth, we have to return to the economic policies that built growth. That means increasing investments in infrastructure and education. That means planning for the future of the nation rather than looking for a quick “right now” fix. As a nation, we’ve lost our ability to look beyond the right now. Some may blame this on “fast food culture” but I blame it on an over-reliance on political cycles and over-heated rhetoric that has kept us distracted while a very small percentage of the population benefits most.
All of this goes back to the culture of cutting.
After the Penn State scandal that brought down one of the most powerful college sports dynasties in history, the law is clear. Carla Snodgrass on Prevent Child Abuse Tennessee explains state laws in a letter to the editor to the Tennesseans. LINK
In Tennessee, every person who suspects that a child is being harmed or that there is a threat of harm has a responsibility to report that information to the Department of Children’s Services, local law enforcement or the juvenile court in their community. If you are suspicious of something that is happening between a child and an adult, then do report it. Call Child Protective Services at 1-877-237-0004. You are not responsible for investigating and determining what happened; you are responsible for telling about it. Doing so can prevent innocent children from being abused.
- Michael Silence writes that some .gov sites need to get it together as they aren’t user friendly. LINK
- I believe that the GOP Public Relations machine has lost control of the message and isn’t prioritizing what’s best for average Tennesseans at Newscoma. LINK
- Pat Nolan with a little inside political baseball on a rumored challenge from Madame Speaker Beth Harwell against Congressman Jim Cooper. He breaks down the ifs and buts if she were to run. LINK
- Rep. Rick Womick wants devout Muslims thrown out of the Military. LINK
- The Goodyear plant in Union City has been bought by Titan Tire Corporation. LINK